On this page you will find out what Room 108 is currently working on and our thoughts on all aspects of the online industry.
New Website Launch: www.entcs.co.uk
Edinburgh New Town Cookery School required a brochure site with course schedule system, e-commerce and online booking system.
The school required a content management system to allow updates to the course brochure as necessary.
Room 108 worked with the School’s existing Graphic Designers to produce this website through the use of a Drupal based content management system.
Microsoft's latest version of Internet Explorer, IE8, has been released recently and if your PC is set for automatic updates it will be downloaded as part of these. In the coming weeks you will be given the option to install it.
If you use an earlier version of Internet Explorer you should consider accepting this update. The new version of the software contains a new SmartScreen filter and other built-in security features to help protect you against deceptive and malicious websites which can compromise your data, privacy, and identity. Rumour has it that it is also faster than previous versions on IE. (Our advice regardless of your choice of browser is to keep it up to date.)
If you are prompted to install IE8 or actively download it remember to give yourself time for installation and configuration. Don't start the process ten minutes before your next meeting. Installation will take about 15 minutes followed by a required system restart and configuration.
Configuration options allow you to customise your settings. You can go for the default setting but here are a few items that can be configured to enhance your browsing.
- Default search provider - Microsoft Live is the default search provider but through configuration you can change this to the provider of your choice.
- Accelerators - Allows for interaction with content. Right click on content to search, find, define or blog
- smartScreen filter - An extenstion of IE7's phishing filter turn this on to protect against deceptive and malicious websites
If you would like more information about how IE8 will impact your business please get in touch with the room 108 IT team to discuss how we can help.
Because he took the plunge beforeÂ me I asked Darren, the technical director here at Room 108, about IE 8.
How long have you been using Internet Explorer 8?
I have used Release Candidate 1 since its release at the end of January 2009 and have been using the final release since 19 March 2009.
What is the biggest difference between IE 7 and IE 8?
- Accelerators which allow access to several features such as search from the right click menu
- URL highlighting which shows the main URL in black and the rest of the URL in grey. This allows you to see the main site you are on easily and helps prevent phishing attacks.
- URL predication when typing in the address bar is significantly better, you can delete directly from the drop down list which means you can tidy miss spelt URLs quickly.
- Built in developer tools, no more downloading a separate application
- Colour coding of tabs opened from another web page
- If tab crashes it recovers the tab and will automatically switch to IE 7 compatibility mode if that was the reason.
- Reload previous session
- Compatibility button next to address bar, this allows user to switch into IE 7 compatibility mode
Fundamentally the browser is the same and the user experience is not significantly different.
How did you find using IE 8 when you first installed it?
What features do you like best in IE 8?
Being able to select a word in a web page and search Google using the right click menu
Are there any features that have been removed from IE 8 that you now miss?
None that I have missed so far.
Have you been facing any issues with websites not rendering correctly under IE 8 that are working correctly in IE 7?
Yes, predominantly sites using Flash but I have also seen some sites which do not work at all. There is a button in the address bar which will reload the page in compatibility mode and web designers can make a small change to an existing page which forces IE 8 to use IE 7 compatibility mode.
Would you recommend users upgrade to IE 8?
Yes, the URL colouring will help with security and the browser is supposedly faster although I cannot comment on that.
IE 8 also has In Private browsing which enables users to surf without leaving a trace of the websites visited on the computer, although this may break most sites due to it disabling items like cookies and plug-ins.
IE 8 is also more standards compliant then previous versions meaning that more websites will render as the web designer would want.